Here’s part 3 of my homage to 80s R&B, my selection of some of the best dance hits of the decade:
5. “Let the Music Play” by Shannon (1983)
Too much 80s here but it’s all the right kind.
4. “Lovergirl” by Teena Marie (1984)
The soulful Teena Marie.
3. “Come Go With Me” by Exposé (1987)
I had a high school, lunchtime conversation once where we debated which member of Exposé was the sexiest.
2. “Don’t You Want Me” by Jody Watley (1987)
Her music had so many of the elements of 80s club tracks that they don’t get played much today. At the foundation, though, they were good beats from a great performer.
1. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston (1987)
This is one of my favorite songs of all-time. My kids have been instructed to play it at my funeral.