Oh, you know the obvious one: Barack H. Obama is the first African-descent President of the United States (POTUS). But this is but one of many “firsts” we saw on January 20, 2009.
- Obama is the first POTUS born in Hawaii.
- He is the first born in the sixties.
- He is the first POTUS of whom it may be said “he got game.”
- Obama is the first POTUS to serve as editor of the Harvard Law Review.
- He is the first to have a wife named Michelle.
- He is the first to not have ever faced military conscription.
- Obama is the first POTUS to know how to dance.
- His inauguration was the first to have been covered via “live blogging.”
- His swearing in was the first to be attended by a massive, f-ing horde of people.
- It was the first to feature a song by a woman wearing a flying hat.
See what I mean.
- He is the first POTUS to have a last name beginning with “O” (really, with any vowel other than “A”–damn you Chester A. Arthur!!)
- His is the first inauguration of my kids’ lifetimes (I know, but it’s big for me).
- He is the first to not have a first name based in European culture.
- He is the first to have a parent who practiced a faith that did not worship Jesus as God.
- Obama is the first POTUS to have lived in Indonesia.
- He’s the first to have siblings who are half-Southeast Asian.
- He is the first POTUS to have worked as a community organizer.
- His swearing in was the first for Chief Justice John Roberts.
- It is also the first to have been botched by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- This is the first inauguration where more than 2 nonwhite people spoke/performed (Aretha Franklin, Yo-Yo Ma, Elizabeth Alexander, and Joseph Lowery).
- And, finally, Obama is the first President of the United States to be wise in the ways of the force.